think

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Kenyan athletes break marathon world record in Berlin



On Sunday, September 29, 2013, Wilson Kipsang broke the marathon world record set by Patrick Makau two years ago.

The 31-year-old Kenyan athlete completed the 40th Berlin marathon race in 2:03:23, about 15 seconds earlier than that of Patrick who ran in 2:03:38. Also, he outran his fellow Kenyans Eliud Kipchoge (2:04.05) and Geoffrey Kipsang (2:06.26) who came 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Kipsang who won $54,000 in prize money and $68,000 in bonus money for the world record expressed his joy ‘This is a dream come true. 10 years ago, I watched Paul Tergat break the World record in Berlin, and now I have achieved the dream. I felt strong, so I attacked at 35k, because the pace had become a little too slow’.

‘If I prepare very well, and with the same shape (I can go faster). Today there was a lot of wind, I was really fighting. Looking at my marathon progress and career so far, I still think I have the potential to run faster. Anything under 2:03:23 would do’ he told reporters.

Florence Kiplagat also made it a double success for Kenya as she won the women’s race in 2:21.13, ahead of her Kenyan compatriot Sharon Cherop and Germany’s Irina Mikitenko in third.

No comments:

Post a Comment